Friday, September 29, 2017

Best of the Bunch: September 2017


Today I'm sharing the best book I read in September.

I appear to be in a bit of reading slump, as this is the third month in a row with no 5-star or 4.5-star reads, and I only read five books this month. As part of my goal to read longer books this year, I spent several months plowing through Infinite Jest, and I'm now midway through Bleak House. Of the five I finished this month, there was only one that merited 4 stars, and it was another Hercule Poirot novel.


Unlike last month's pick, which was a change of pace for a Hercule Poirot book, Mrs. McGinty's Dead is a typical, solid Hercule Poirot mystery. You've got a cast of characters on whom suspicion is thrown pretty much equally, you've got a host of clues that don't all arrange themselves into sense until Poirot fits the pieces together for you, and you've got enough of a twist to be satisfying without feeling like it's too far-fetched to be realistic. We also get a visit from the always-entertaining Ariadne Oliver. The result is a not spectacular but ultimately satisfying mystery.

What is the best book you read this month? Let me know in comments, or write your own post and link up below!





No comments:

Post a Comment